The Garden Is Just the Cover Story for What People Actually Came For | A Neighborly Tip

The Garden Is Just the Cover Story for What People Actually Came For | A Neighborly Tip

A neighborhood community moment
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez 🇨🇦 on Unsplash

I noticed something at the last small workshop I hosted in my backyard — nobody was really there for the tomatoes. We talked about companion planting for maybe twenty minutes, and then someone mentioned her grandmother used to grow the same basil variety, and the whole afternoon tilted sideways into something else entirely. Stories. Laughter that surprised us. A shared bag of seed packets passed around like it was something sacred. The gardening was the door we all walked through, but connection was the room we ended up in.

I think that's the thing about hosting a gardening workshop that doesn't get said enough — you don't need credentials or a Pinterest-worthy raised bed setup. A folding table, some soil, a few starts or seeds, and the willingness to say "I'm still figuring this out too" is honestly enough. People relax when they feel like they're learning alongside you rather than being taught at. There's something about getting your hands into dirt with someone that skips past the small-talk layer faster than almost anything else I know. Maybe it's because the earth is a little humbling to everyone equally.

If you've ever thought about hosting one, I'd say start smaller than feels necessary. Six people around a picnic table is better than twenty people who feel like an audience. Let it be a little unpolished. Let someone ask a question you can't answer. I believe there's something quietly generous in the act of gathering people around something living and growing — it tends to mirror back what a neighborhood could be, if we just kept showing up for each other like this.


Want to welcome a neighbor or celebrate community?

🛍️ Buy your neighbor something special at ArtInScienceDesigns.Etsy.com

Or make it a more personal DIY gift with an easy-to-print, instant download paint-by-number or ebook from my shop.

Explore all my personally crafted digital files on Creative Fabrica, or Download from.

#community #sharedliving #belonging #loveyourneighbors #gather #simple #lifestyle #7propertiesga

Comments