The Emergency Binder Nobody Opens Until They Really Need To | A Neighborly Tip

The Emergency Binder Nobody Opens Until They Really Need To | A Neighborly Tip

A neighborhood community moment
Photo by Unsplash on Unsplash

I noticed something after the last bad storm rolled through our street. Within about forty minutes, four neighbors I had never properly spoken to were standing in my driveway — not because we had planned it, but because the power was out and nobody knew quite what else to do. We shared a flashlight, a phone charger, and some very lukewarm coffee. It struck me later that we had lived within shouting distance of each other for years, and it took a downed tree to finally make us feel like we actually knew each other. A disaster preparedness plan, I think, is really just a permission slip to have that conversation before the tree falls.

I've been slowly putting together something loose and simple for our little corner of the block — nothing official, just a shared notes page where a few of us have written down who has a generator, who has a spare bedroom, who has a medical need that others should know about in an emergency. Mrs. Calloway two doors down has a dog that goes into a panic during tornado warnings. I wouldn't have known that without asking. Now I do, and I think about her differently because of it. That kind of knowing feels like something close to what I'd call good neighboring — maybe even something the Bible would recognize as loving your actual, literal neighbor, not just the idea of one.

I'm not suggesting anyone become the block captain with a clipboard and a laminated checklist. That's not really my instinct either. What I keep coming back to is the smaller ask: one conversation, one phone number traded, one quiet agreement that if something goes sideways, we are looking out for each other. A disaster plan built on real relationship is just a map of who you already trust. Starting there — with the trust — seems like the right place to me.


Want to welcome a neighbor or celebrate community?

🛍️ Buy your neighbor something special at ArtInScienceDesigns.Etsy.com

Or make it a more personal DIY gift with an easy-to-print, instant download paint-by-number or ebook from my shop.

Explore all my personally crafted digital files on Creative Fabrica, or Download from.

#community #sharedliving #belonging #loveyourneighbors #gather #simple #lifestyle #7propertiesga

Comments