Something To Celebrate: The Inside of Things No One Else Will See

The Inside of Things No One Else Will See

Background photo by Zhenyi Yang (@zhenyi_yannng)

I keep building things that mostly only I will ever see the inside of. Not products, not presentations — just structures that exist, that have interiors, that I apparently needed to make. I don't fully know why that's satisfying, but it is.

There's something worth paying attention to in work that doesn't ask for an audience. Most of what we make gets measured by who notices it, who responds, whether it lands. But some making seems to happen at a different layer — quieter, less legible even to ourselves. I noticed this week that the satisfaction wasn't coming from what the thing was or what it would do. It was coming from the fact that it had an inside. That it was complete in some way that didn't require anyone else to walk through it. I think that might be its own kind of evidence — that creativity doesn't always need a witness to be real.


Whenever something like this happens, my instinct is always the same — find a little something to mark it.

Take a look at ArtInScienceDesigns.Etsy.com

Comments