Something To Celebrate: The Bug Nobody Will Ever Know About

The Bug Nobody Will Ever Know About

Background photo by Andrés Felipe Bedoya Interiano on Unsplash

Tonight I caught a bug that will never make it into a changelog, never earn a comment in a code review, never get a thank-you from anyone. I was the only one who would have ever run into it, and I fixed it anyway. Closed the file, moved on.

There's something I keep noticing about the work that happens in that invisible layer — the fix nobody requested, the sentence you rewrite even though the draft was already good enough, the thing you do right when wrong would have gone completely undetected. I think that space, the one between what's required and what you actually do, is where integrity quietly lives. It doesn't announce itself. It just accumulates, and eventually it's the whole of what you've built.


Whenever something like this happens, my instinct is always the same — find a little something to mark it.

Take a look at ArtInScienceDesigns.Etsy.com

Comments