Daily Prayer: You Already Have Everything You Need in Christ
Daily Prayer: You Already Have Everything You Need in Christ
"For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority."
— Colossians 2:9-10
I was refilling my coffee mug this morning — the one with the chip on the handle that I keep meaning to replace and never do — and I caught myself just standing at the counter for a second, looking out the window at nothing in particular.
Not thinking about anything profound. Just noticing the light.
There's something about an ordinary Wednesday morning that asks nothing of you for just a moment, and I was in that moment. Chipped mug. Warm coffee. A little patch of light on the kitchen floor.
And then, because my brain works the way it works, I thought about this verse.
The Fullness That's Already There
Colossians 2:9-10 says something almost too big to hold: that all the fullness of God — the whole thing, not a portion, not a representative sample — lives in Christ. And then, in the very next breath, it says that in Christ, you have been brought to fullness.
Not "you will be, someday, if you work hard enough."
Already. Done. Brought.
I think I've spent a lot of years quietly assuming I was somehow spiritually behind. Like there was a version of me that was more patient, more faithful, more at peace — and she was ahead of me on a path I hadn't quite caught up to yet.
But this verse doesn't describe a destination. It describes a state of being.
He Is the Head Over Every Power and Authority
That last line hits differently when you sit with it a little.
He is the head over every power and authority.
Every. Power. And authority.
That means the thing I'm worried about at work — the project that's wobbling, the meeting that didn't go the way I hoped — sits under His authority. The conversation I need to have with my adult kid, the one I'm still figuring out how to approach as a peer and not just a parent, that's under His authority too.
Not in a way that means I do nothing. But in a way that means I'm not the one holding the whole thing up.
That's actually a relief, when I let it be.
What Fullness Feels Like on a Regular Day
I used to think fullness would feel dramatic. Like a spiritual crescendo moment with good lighting.
But I think it mostly feels like that patch of light on the kitchen floor. Ordinary. Sufficient. Just enough of exactly what you need.
My husband and I have a rhythm to our mornings that we've built over a lot of years together. He makes the first pot of coffee. I refill my chipped mug. We don't always say much, but there's a fullness in that too — in knowing someone well enough that you don't have to perform for them before 8 a.m.
I think God is in that. I think He's in the small ordinary kindnesses of a long marriage, in the weird grace of watching your kid become a full human person, in the ten-second pause at the kitchen counter where you're not doing anything useful at all.
Fullness isn't loud. It's just complete.
What I Keep Coming Back To
There's a kind of striving that I recognize in myself — a low-grade reaching, like I'm always one more thing away from being settled. One more answered prayer, one more resolved situation, one more item checked off the list.
And then I read you have been brought to fullness and I feel like God is gently, patiently pointing out that I've been standing in the answer the whole time.
Not that nothing is hard. Not that there's nothing left to hope for or pray about. But that the ground under my feet is solid. That Christ — with all the fullness of God living in Him — is the head over everything that worries me, everything that delights me, everything in between.
I don't have to earn my way to complete. I'm already there, in Him.
The chipped mug is fine. The coffee is warm. The light is doing what light does.
That's enough for today.
A Prayer for Today
Lord, I keep forgetting that I'm not behind.
I keep reaching for some future version of myself who has it more together, who worries less, who trusts You more easily. And You're over here telling me that in You, I'm already complete. I don't fully know what to do with that, but I want to believe it more than I do right now.
Thank You that You're the head over the things that feel too big for me today. I'm genuinely glad that job isn't mine.
Help me notice the fullness in the ordinary parts of today — in the people I love, in the work in front of me, in the small moments that don't look like anything but somehow are.
You're enough. You've always been enough. Let me live like I know that.
Amen.
🛍️ Shop my specially designed gifts for any celebration in my Etsy shop
Explore all my personally crafted digital files on Creative Fabrica, or Download from.
#dailyprayer #christiancreative #introvertlife #faithandlife #thoughtfulliving #emptynester #workinglife #quietwork #midlifevoice #artinsciencedesigns #slowcontent
Comments
Post a Comment