Daily Prayer: When God Offers to Be Your GPS (And Actually Means It)

Daily Prayer: When God Offers to Be Your GPS (And Actually Means It)

A quiet moment of reflection
Photo by Nathan Dumlao (@nate_dumlao)
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you."
— Psalm 32:8

I was standing at the kitchen counter this morning, waiting for my coffee to finish, staring at nothing in particular — you know that specific kind of staring where your eyes are open but your brain hasn't quite clocked in yet.

My phone was sitting face-up nearby, and I noticed I had already, in that half-awake state, opened three different apps without making a single decision. Email. Weather. Email again.

I hadn't even asked myself what I actually needed to know.

The Funny Thing About Asking for Directions

I think a lot of my mornings start that way — reaching for input before I've even figured out the question. It's not a crisis. It's just a habit. A very modern, very human one.

Which is maybe why Psalm 32:8 caught me a little off guard when I read it recently. Not because it's unfamiliar — I've read it before — but because of the specific order of it.

I will instruct you. I will teach you. I will counsel you. I will watch over you.

God doesn't say, "Figure out what you need and then come find me." He just... offers. Proactively. Like a friend who texts first.

What This Looks Like in an Ordinary Life

My life right now is full in the best, most unremarkable ways. Work. My husband. Our adult daughter who is out doing her own life — which I love, even when I have to stop myself from texting too often.

Dinner to plan. A meeting to prep for. A conversation I want to have with someone that I keep mentally rehearsing and then setting down.

None of it is dramatic. Most of it is good. And somehow, in the middle of good and ordinary, I still manage to spin in circles trying to figure out the right next step.

That's where this verse lands for me — not in the big crossroads moments, but in the Tuesday-afternoon-sized ones. The "should I say something or let it go" ones. The "am I making the right call here" ones.

He Said He Would Watch Over Me

That last part of the verse is the part I keep coming back to.

Watch over you.

Not just point me in a direction and walk away. Actually stay. Keep an eye on things. Like someone who cares enough to follow up.

I find that genuinely comforting in a way that doesn't require a lot of explanation. It just settles something in me.

I don't have to figure everything out before I start. I don't have to have the whole plan mapped before I take a step. There is someone already paying attention, already willing to teach me as I go.

That's not a small thing. That's actually enormous.

What I'm Doing With This Today

Honestly? Not much that looks spiritual from the outside. I'm going to drink my coffee while it's still warm. I'm going to show up to my work and do it as well as I can. I'm going to text my daughter something low-pressure so she knows I'm thinking of her.

And somewhere in the middle of all of that, I'm going to try to remember that I'm not navigating any of it alone. That I have access to actual, real guidance — not the app-scrolling kind — if I'll just pause long enough to ask for it.

That feels like enough for one day.


A Prayer for Today

God, thank You for this verse. Thank You that You didn't make guidance something I have to hunt down or earn — You just offered it. That's generous, and I don't want to take it for granted.

I have decisions to make today that feel small but matter to me. I have a few things I'm not sure about, and a couple I keep overthinking. Would You be in those? Would You actually teach me as I go, like You said?

I want to be the kind of person who asks You first instead of last. I'm working on that. I think You know that.

Thank You for watching over me even when I forget You're there.

Amen.


🛍️ Shop my specially designed gifts for any celebration in my Etsy shop

👉 Become a Content Partner

Explore all my personally crafted digital files on Creative Fabrica, or Download from.

#dailyprayer #christiancreative #introvertlife #faithandlife #thoughtfulliving #emptynester #workinglife #quietwork #midlifevoice #artinsciencedesigns #slowcontent

Comments