Daily Prayer: When God Actually Likes You
Daily Prayer: When God Actually Likes You
"For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation."
— Psalm 149:4
I was refilling my coffee this morning — the second cup, which I will not apologize for — when I caught myself just standing there for a second, looking out the window at nothing in particular.
Not thinking. Not planning. Just... standing there in my kitchen like a person who lives in her own life.
It was a small moment. Completely unremarkable. And somehow it felt like exactly enough.
The Word That Stopped Me
I've been sitting with Psalm 149:4 this week, and the word I keep coming back to is delight.
Not tolerates. Not endures. Not is technically obligated to love because he said he would.
Delight.
I think there's a version of faith that quietly believes God loves us the way a tired parent loves a difficult child — dutifully, with great sighing. Like we're a project he's committed to finishing, even when the work is tedious.
And then you read a verse like this one and it just... doesn't match that picture at all.
He Actually Likes Us
The LORD takes delight in his people.
I keep turning that over. There's something almost startling about it. Not just love in the grand, theological sense — but delight. The kind of feeling you get when someone you genuinely like walks into the room.
My husband makes this face when our adult daughter calls unexpectedly. Just his whole expression shifts. That's delight. That's the involuntary kind.
And apparently, that's what God does. With us.
With me, standing in my kitchen in yesterday's sweatshirt, on my second cup of coffee, thinking about nothing.
The Humble Part Is Interesting
The second half of the verse says he crowns the humble with salvation.
I used to read "humble" and immediately think of all the ways I wasn't. The pride, the opinions, the very specific feelings I have about how the dishwasher should be loaded.
But I think humility, in the way the Psalms mean it, is less about self-criticism and more about orientation. It's just knowing where you stand. Knowing you're not running this whole operation. Knowing you need what only God can give.
That, I can actually work with.
There's something freeing about it, honestly. I don't have to be impressive. I don't have to have it all figured out before God is willing to show up. He's already delighted. He's already here.
An Ordinary Life, Fully Seen
I think about what my days actually look like. Work emails and grocery runs and checking in with our daughter and making sure there's something for dinner that isn't just cheese and crackers (though sometimes it is, and we're both fine).
Nothing spectacular. Nothing that would make a highlight reel.
And yet — this verse suggests that God is not waiting for my life to get more impressive before he takes an interest. He delights in his people. His ordinary, sweatshirt-wearing, second-cup-of-coffee people.
That's a good thing to know on an average day.
I finished my coffee. I went back to work. And I carried that word with me — delight — like something small and warm in my pocket.
A Prayer for Today
God, I'll be honest — it's hard to fully believe you delight in me. Not because I think you're lying, but because I know me. I know what's going on inside my head on any given afternoon.
But I want to believe it. I'm trying.
Help me to be humble in the real way — not the performative, self-flagellating way, but the honest way. The kind of humble that just knows it needs you and isn't embarrassed about that anymore.
Thank you for showing up in ordinary days. Thank you for being the kind of God who uses the word delight.
That means a lot to me. More than I know how to say.
Amen.
🛍️ Shop my specially designed gifts for any celebration in my Etsy shop
Explore all my personally crafted digital files on Creative Fabrica, or Download from.
#dailyprayer #christiancreative #introvertlife #faithandlife #thoughtfulliving #emptynester #workinglife #quietwork #midlifevoice #artinsciencedesigns #slowcontent
Comments
Post a Comment