Celebrating Indigenous Artists and Cultural Designs
Celebrating Indigenous Artists and Cultural Designs
I've been thinking a lot lately about what it means to really see an artist's work — not just admire the surface of it, but understand that every line, color, and pattern carries a story that was tended to long before the piece landed in someone's hands. That thought sits with me especially on Indigenous Peoples' Day.
There's something that happens when I look at traditional Indigenous designs — beadwork, textile patterns, pottery, painted motifs — where I notice I slow down. The geometry isn't decoration for decoration's sake. It's language. It's memory. It's a whole worldview pressed into form. I find that genuinely moving.
The Artists Worth Knowing
I think one of the most meaningful things I can do on a day like this is point toward living Indigenous artists who are working right now — people whose hands made something real, whose cultural knowledge is woven into every piece they produce.
Artists like Virgil Ortiz (Cochiti Pueblo), whose pottery bridges ancestral form with a sharp contemporary eye. Or the intricate ribbon skirt makers whose work has become both cultural assertion and quiet beauty. Ndé Lipan Apache artist Steven Paul Judd, who layers humor and heritage in ways that stop you mid-scroll. Seminole patchwork quilters whose strip designs are as mathematically precise as they are visually joyful.
I noticed, the more I looked, that Indigenous art doesn't fit into one tidy aesthetic box — it never did. There are hundreds of nations, hundreds of distinct visual languages. That breadth alone is worth sitting with.
What Makes a Meaningful Gift
If you're thinking about gifting something this season that actually carries weight — something that feels considered rather than convenient — I'd lean toward work made directly by Indigenous artists. Not inspired by. Not "in the style of." Made by.
A few places I genuinely trust for that:
- Eighth Generation — a Native-owned company founded by Louie Gong (Nooksack), selling wool blankets and goods designed by Indigenous artists. The blankets especially are the kind of thing you keep for decades.
- Seventh Generation Fund artist networks and similar organizations often have curated marketplaces around this time of year.
- Local Indigenous art markets — I think there's something irreplaceable about buying directly from the person who made the thing. You walk away with a small piece of their story, and they walk away with fair value for their work.
A handmade beaded earring, a hand-thrown pot, a printed textile — these aren't small things. They're the result of skill passed down through generations, and they deserve to be treated that way.
Design as Devotion
I'll say this plainly: I think there's a spiritual dimension to craft that gets talked around but rarely named. Many Indigenous art traditions aren't secular at all — the act of making is an act of prayer, of gratitude, of honoring what came before. I find that resonates with how I think about my own work. When something is made with that kind of intention, you can feel it. The object holds something.
That's the kind of art I want in my home. That's the kind of art I try to make in my own small way at ArtInScienceDesigns — things with a reason behind them, not just a look.
How I'm Marking the Day
Honestly, I'm spending part of today looking through the portfolios of Indigenous artists I haven't come across before. I've bookmarked a few prints I'd like to add to my walls. I'm also revisiting some of the pattern work that has influenced my own design thinking over the years — and sitting with proper gratitude for where those ideas come from.
If something in my shop catches your eye today, I'm glad. But more than that, I hope this day nudges you toward the work of Indigenous makers in whatever way feels right to you. There's so much there worth noticing.
Simple, thoughtful gifts for meaningful holidays.
Browse handmade items in my Etsy shop.
Visit my Creative Fabrica store or grab a freebie via Download from
#gifts #holidays #simpleliving #etsyshop #creativefabrica #artinsciencedesigns
Comments
Post a Comment