What's For Dinner: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad

What's For Dinner: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad

A simple, delicious dinner

September always brings a particular kind of shift. The air gets a bit crisper, the evenings draw in, and I notice myself wanting to slow down. After a summer of hurried outside adventures and late sunsets, there's a certain comfort in the thought of a quiet evening at home. It makes me think about how wonderful it is that the world changes rhythm, and we get to change with it, like a gentle reminder from God to find beauty in every season.

Some evenings, especially when the light starts to fade earlier, making a big fuss over dinner just doesn't sound right. I think many of us feel that way. We want something nourishing, something warm and satisfying, but without a long list of steps or too many dishes to wash. That's when I often turn to this sweet potato and black bean salad. It’s hearty enough to feel like a full meal, full of good things, and the flavors just hum together nicely. It's a true blessing to have a meal like this ready to go.

I find it’s one of those adaptable recipes, too. If I have some avocado lying around, it goes in. If I’ve got some cilantro that needs using, I chop it up. It’s very forgiving, which, honestly, is exactly what I need on a weeknight. It makes for good leftovers, too, which is always a bonus for my quiet lunches the next day.

Ingredients

  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus extra for dressing)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • Pinch of salt and black pepper
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (optional, but lovely)
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
  • 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup

Instructions

  1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, toss the diced sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper until everything is coated. I like to make sure each little cube gets a good sprinkle of seasoning.
  3. Spread the seasoned sweet potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender and just starting to caramelize around the edges. I usually give them a little stir halfway through.
  4. While the sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare the rest of the salad. In a large bowl, combine the rinsed black beans, corn, and chopped red onion. If I’m using cilantro, I add it here too.
  5. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, apple cider vinegar, honey (or maple syrup), and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Give it a taste; sometimes I add a tiny bit more salt or pepper depending on what I’m feeling.
  6. Once the sweet potatoes are done, let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet – just long enough so they’re not piping hot.
  7. Add the roasted sweet potatoes to the bowl with the black bean mixture. Pour the dressing over everything and toss gently until all the ingredients are well combined.
  8. Serve warm or at room temperature. It seems to taste even better after the flavors have a little while to get to know each other.

This salad feels like a little hug in a bowl, especially as the evenings get cooler. It reminds me that good things don't have to be complicated to be truly satisfying. It’s a nice way to end the day, giving thanks for simple provisions and the changing seasons. I always find a moment of peace when I sit down with a meal like this.

I've noticed that as the year progresses, these simple, grounding meals become even more precious. It’s a good way to steady yourself. What simple pleasures or comforting meals are you finding yourself drawn to as we move further into autumn?


Etsy product from ArtInScienceDesigns
Photo by Denise Robertson on Unsplash

Looking for the perfect gift (or a treat for yourself)?

Check out our unique table runners, oven mitts, and other home decor in the ArtInScienceDesigns Etsy shop. Perfect for holiday gatherings or cozy nights in!

AND... Follow Me on CF

#recipes #fordinner #simple #lifestyle #etsy #7propertiesga #artinsciencedesigns #homedecor #kitchendecor #thanksgiving

Comments