What's For Dinner: Pumpkin Soup
What's For Dinner: Pumpkin Soup
September arrived with its particular kind of grace this year, didn't it? The air, crisping just a bit, the way the light slants through the window in the late afternoon – it just feels different. After the bustle of summer, I find myself drawn inward, to the warmth of my kitchen, to the comforting rhythm of simple tasks. It's a time for gathering, for reflection, and for making things that nourish not just the body, but the spirit too.
I’ve noticed that as the leaves start to turn, my mind often wanders to the idea of cozy meals. Maybe it’s a natural inclination, a way to prepare for the cooler days ahead. There’s something deeply reassuring about the changing seasons, a steady whisper that everything has its appointed time, much like the seasons of our own lives. I think God gives us these cycles as a reminder that there's beauty and purpose in every phase, even the ones that call us to slow down and rest.
And what better way to embrace that shift than with a warm bowl of pumpkin soup? This isn't a complicated recipe, or one that demands a lot of fuss. It’s the kind of meal that tastes like a hug from the inside out. I started making it years ago, and it’s become a September ritual. It just feels right.
Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pie filling!)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth, if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or coconut milk for a dairy-free option)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional, but I always add it)
- A sprinkle of fresh parsley or chives for garnish (optional)
Instructions
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, I usually warm the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until it softens and turns translucent, which usually takes about 5-7 minutes. I think it’s important not to rush this step; good flavor builds slowly.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant. My kitchen always smells so good at this point.
- Pour in the pumpkin puree and stir it around for a minute or two. It seems to deepen the flavor.
- Gradually whisk in the vegetable broth until everything is smooth.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes. I just let it do its thing, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the heavy cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. I sometimes use an immersion blender right in the pot to make it extra creamy, but it's often smooth enough as is. If you don't have one, you could carefully transfer batches to a regular blender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Sometimes it just needs a little more salt to really sing.
- Ladle into bowls, and if I have it on hand, I’ll sprinkle a little fresh parsley or chives on top. It just makes it feel a bit more special.
Sitting down with a hot bowl of this soup, especially when the evenings start to draw in, feels like a small blessing. It’s a reminder that even in a world that often rushes by, there are moments of peace to be found, often in the very simplest of things. I like to think it’s a tiny echo of His abundant love, showing up in the warmth and comfort of a homemade meal.
I often find myself wondering, in these changing seasons, what simple routines or comforts bring peace to your own table? I'd genuinely love to hear about them.
Looking for the perfect gift (or a treat for yourself)?
Check out our unique table runners, oven mitts, and other home decor in the ArtInScienceDesigns Etsy shop. Perfect for holiday gatherings or cozy nights in!
AND... Follow Me on CF
#recipes #fordinner #simple #lifestyle #etsy #7propertiesga #artinsciencedesigns #homedecor #kitchendecor #thanksgiving
Comments
Post a Comment