What's For Dinner: 'Curried Carrot and Apple Soup

What's For Dinner: 'Curried Carrot and Apple Soup

A simple, delicious dinner

September always feels a bit like a gentle sigh after the long, exuberant breath of summer. The days might still hold warmth, but there's a distinct crispness in the air come evening. I find myself pulling out cozier sweaters and, more importantly, looking for meals that feel like a warm hug from the inside. It’s a time for gathering close, whether that's just me and my thoughts, or with loved ones around the kitchen table.

I often think about how the seasons change, and how we change with them, even subtly. Just like the trees let go of their leaves with a quiet strength, I try to remind myself to let go of the things that don't serve me anymore. It’s a little like trusting in God’s rhythm for everything – there's a time for everything under the heavens, as the old wisdom says. And right now, it feels like a time for comforting food that brightens the spirit.

This particular soup has become a bit of a September staple in my home. It sounds a little unexpected, I know – carrots and apples, with curry? But that’s precisely what makes it so interesting. The sweetness of the apples plays so well with the earthy carrots, and the curry just gives it a lovely warmth without being overpowering. It’s the kind of meal that feels both wholesome and a little bit special, perfect for those quiet nights in.

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 inch fresh ginger, grated (about 1 teaspoon)
  • 1 tablespoon mild curry powder (adjust to your preference)
  • 5 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 2 medium apples (like Honeycrisp or Gala), peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (full-fat or light, depending on how creamy you like it)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Optional garnishes: fresh cilantro, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, or toasted pumpkin seeds

Instructions

  1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, I usually warm the olive oil or melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Then, I add the chopped onion and let it cook until it softens, which usually takes about 5-7 minutes. I like to stir it occasionally so it doesn't stick.
  3. Next, I stir in the minced garlic and grated ginger, letting them cook for another minute until they smell fragrant.
  4. This is when I add the curry powder. I stir it in and let it cook for about 30 seconds. It just helps to wake up the spices.
  5. After that, I toss in the chopped carrots and apples, stirring them around to coat them with the spices.
  6. I pour in the vegetable broth, making sure the vegetables are mostly submerged. I bring it to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are very tender when poked with a fork.
  7. Once the vegetables are soft, I carefully use an immersion blender right in the pot to blend the soup until it’s smooth and creamy. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can let the soup cool a bit and then blend it in batches in a regular blender. Just be careful with hot liquids!
  8. Finally, I stir in the coconut milk and let the soup warm through for a few more minutes, but I don't let it boil after adding the coconut milk.
  9. I taste it and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Sometimes it needs a little more of both, depending on the broth.
  10. I serve it warm, often with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro or a few pumpkin seeds.

There's something so grounding about making a simple, nourishing meal. It reminds me that even in the big, wide world, a good, comforting bowl of soup can bring a moment of peace. It's an ordinary thing, but those ordinary things often carry the most grace, I think. Like the changing leaves or the soft light of an autumn afternoon, they're small reminders of goodness.

I wonder, what simple comforts are you finding yourself drawn to as the days grow shorter?


Etsy product from ArtInScienceDesigns
Photo by David Beneš (@davidbenesph)

Looking for the perfect gift (or a treat for yourself)?

Check out our unique table runners, oven mitts, and other home decor in the ArtInScienceDesigns Etsy shop. Perfect for holiday gatherings or cozy nights in!

AND... Follow Me on CF

#recipes #fordinner #simple #lifestyle #etsy #7propertiesga #artinsciencedesigns #homedecor #kitchendecor #thanksgiving

Comments