What's For Dinner: Apple Walnut Salad
What's For Dinner: Apple Walnut Salad
September always feels like a soft landing after summer’s bright rush. The days shorten, the air gets a little crisper, and I find myself looking for meals that are easy on the mind but still full of goodness. After a day of quiet contemplation or perhaps, let's be honest, just trying to remember where I put my keys, a complicated cooking project isn't always what my spirit needs. That's when I turn to things like this Apple Walnut Salad. It's unassuming, yes, but it hits just the right note – fresh, a little crunchy, and full of those flavors that just feel right for this time of year. There’s a comfort in the rhythm of the seasons, isn't there? The way the leaves start hinting at change, the sunlight softening. It feels like a gentle nudge to slow down and notice the small blessings around us. For me, that often looks like a simple meal made with ingredients that just feel *of the moment*. Apples are crisp and abundant, walnuts offer a grounding earthiness, and together, they make a symphony of simple deliciousness. I wouldn't call myself a culinary expert, not by a long shot, but I do know what I like to eat when I want something nourishing without a fuss. This salad? It's on that list.
Ingredients
- 2 crisp apples (Honeycrisp or Fuji are my usual picks), cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 4-5 cups mixed greens (spring mix or baby spinach works wonderfully)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional, but I think it adds a nice tang)
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or a pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Instructions
- First, I like to get the dressing ready. In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper until it's all nicely combined. Give it a taste and adjust anything you think it needs. Sometimes I add a bit more maple syrup if the apples are very tart.
- Next, in a large salad bowl, gently add your mixed greens.
- Scatter the sliced apples and chopped walnuts over the greens. If you're using feta cheese, this is when I sprinkle that in too.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients. I usually start with about two-thirds of it and add more if I feel it needs it. No need to drown it!
- Toss everything together until the greens and other bits are lightly coated with dressing. I find a pair of salad tongs works best for this.
- Serve immediately and enjoy that satisfying crunch.
Looking for the perfect gift (or a treat for yourself)?
Check out our unique table runners, oven mitts, and other home decor in the ArtInScienceDesigns Etsy shop. Perfect for holiday gatherings or cozy nights in!
AND... Follow Me on CF
#recipes #fordinner #simple #lifestyle #etsy #7propertiesga #artinsciencedesigns #homedecor #kitchendecor #thanksgiving
Comments
Post a Comment