Daily Prayer: When God Is the Safest Place I Know
Daily Prayer: When God Is the Safest Place I Know
"You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word."
— Psalm 119:114
I noticed it while I was pouring my second cup of coffee — the way I held the mug with both hands before I even took a sip. Just held it. Like I needed to feel the warmth before I could do anything else with the morning.
It's a small habit I've had for years. My husband thinks it's funny. He's already three tasks in by the time I'm still standing at the counter, holding my mug like it's a tiny campfire.
But I think that little moment tells me something true about myself — I like to find the warm thing first.
The Word That Holds
Psalm 119:114 has been sitting with me lately in the same way. "You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word."
There's something about the word refuge that I find myself coming back to. Not a dramatic rescue. Not a last-minute miracle. Just — a place to go. A place that's already there. A place that's safe before anything even goes wrong.
That's the part I love most, honestly. The psalmist isn't writing from the middle of a crisis. He's writing from a posture. A decided-ahead-of-time kind of trust. I have put my hope — past tense. Already done. Already settled.
I want to live more like that.
What Refuge Looks Like on an Ordinary Day
My life right now is good. Genuinely, contentedly good. My daughter is grown and doing her own brave thing in the world. My husband and I have hit that sweet stride that long marriages sometimes find — the one where you finish each other's sentences and also know when to just be quiet in the same room.
Work is full. The to-do list is never fully done. This is not a complaint — it's just the texture of a life that's actually being lived.
But even in a good life, I notice I still reach for something solid. Something that won't shift when I lean on it.
That's what the Word has always been for me. Not a rulebook. Not a checklist. More like — the mug with both hands. Something warm I return to before I do anything else.
Hope Is a Practice
I think putting your hope in God's word is less of a one-time decision and more of a daily small one. Like choosing to open my Bible before my phone. Like praying out loud in the car even when it feels a little silly. Like coming back to a verse mid-afternoon because I need to hear it again.
The psalmist says shield, too — and I appreciate that image because a shield isn't passive. You carry it. You hold it up. It requires your participation.
Hope is like that. It's not a feeling that lands on you. It's something you practice, and practice, and practice again — until one day you realize it's just how you're living.
The Safest Place
I'm an introvert who likes her own company, so I've spent a lot of years learning to be okay with being alone with my thoughts. What I've found is that the best thing about being alone with my thoughts is that God is already there too.
That's the refuge part. Not a building. Not a ritual. Just — a presence that's already in the room when I arrive.
I don't have to explain myself or catch Him up on what happened. He was there. He's always been there. And His word is the thing that keeps reminding me of that when my brain forgets.
Which it does. Regularly. Bless it.
A Prayer for Today
Lord, thank You for being a refuge that doesn't require me to deserve it first. Thank You that Your word is solid when my feelings aren't — and that I can put my hope there even on the days when hope feels like a small, flickering thing.
Help me to keep coming back to You before I reach for anything else. Not out of obligation, but because I've learned — slowly, imperfectly — that You're the warmest place in the room.
Be my shield today. Not just from hard things, but from the noise in my own head that makes ordinary life feel harder than it is. I trust You. I choose You. Again, today. Amen.
🛍️ Shop my specially designed gifts for any celebration in my Etsy shop
Explore all my personally crafted digital files on Creative Fabrica, or Download from.
#dailyprayer #christiancreative #introvertlife #faithandlife #thoughtfulliving #emptynester #workinglife #quietwork #midlifevoice #artinsciencedesigns #slowcontent
Comments
Post a Comment