Daily Prayer: When God Is the One Holding All Three Gavels

Daily Prayer: When God Is the One Holding All Three Gavels

A quiet moment of reflection
Photo by Afrah (@visualsbyafrah)
"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; it is he who will save us."
— Isaiah 33:22

I was reading the news this morning — just for a few minutes, the way you tell yourself you will — and I noticed that I closed the tab feeling oddly relieved instead of unsettled.

That surprised me a little. Usually I close it feeling like I need a snack and a long walk.

But this morning I had read Isaiah 33:22 first, and something about it had already settled into the back of my mind like a quiet anchor. Which is funny, because it's not a soft verse. It's actually a pretty bold one.

Three Titles. One Person. Complete Coverage.

Judge. Lawgiver. King.

Isaiah doesn't give God one honorific and move on. He stacks them. All three roles that, in any human system, get divided among different institutions, different branches, different people with different agendas — Isaiah says God holds all of them. Simultaneously. Perfectly.

I work in a world where I watch humans try to manage those roles separately, and we still manage to make a mess of it on a regular basis. So there is something genuinely settling about reading that the One who sets the standard is also the One who judges by it — and is also the One with the actual authority to act.

No conflict of interest. No passing the buck. No waiting for one branch to catch up with another.

What This Looks Like on an Ordinary Morning

My husband and I had a small disagreement last night. Nothing dramatic — just one of those low-stakes moments where two people who love each other still manage to talk slightly past each other for about ten minutes before one of us figures out what's actually happening.

We sorted it out. We always do. But I woke up this morning still turning it over a little, the way I do, replaying the moment and wondering if I'd handled it as well as I could have.

And then I read this verse.

There's something freeing about the reminder that God is the judge — not me judging myself, not me replaying the tape looking for the verdict. He sees the whole thing. He knows my heart better than I do. His judgment is fair in a way mine never quite is, especially when I'm the one on trial in my own head.

That's not an excuse to stop caring about how I treat people. It's actually the opposite — it's a reason to care for the right reasons, instead of just managing my own anxiety about whether I measured up.

Our Adult Kid Reminded Me of This Without Knowing It

My daughter called yesterday, just to check in. She's out there doing her life — working, making decisions, figuring things out. I love watching this phase, even when it means I'm no longer the one she calls for every answer.

She mentioned something she was wrestling with, a situation where she wasn't sure what the right call was. And I noticed I didn't jump in with advice right away. I mostly just listened, and at the end I said something like, "I think you already know what you think is right."

She laughed and said, "Yeah, I do."

There's something about having raised a person who now knows how to find her footing that makes this verse land differently. She's not answering to me anymore, and she shouldn't be. We're both answering to the same One. That's a thought I find genuinely comforting — not because it lets me off the hook as her mom, but because it means she has a better authority than me holding her together.

The Last Part Is the One I Keep Coming Back To

"It is he who will save us."

Not "it is he who will help us figure it out" or "it is he who will give us the tools." Save. A strong word. A complete word.

I think sometimes I read verses like this and mentally shrink them down to fit my current situation — like God is a very wise advisor who will help me navigate my inbox. And He is present in all of that, genuinely. But Isaiah is talking about something bigger. A God whose authority is real and whose saving is actual.

I need that reminder. Especially on the mornings when I've been reading the news.

A Prayer for Today

Lord,

Thank You for being all three — judge, lawgiver, king — so I don't have to hold any of those roles for myself or anyone else. That is genuinely good news and I don't want to skim past it.

I confess I spend a fair amount of energy trying to be my own judge, and I'm not great at it. I'm either too hard on myself or I let myself off too easy, and I can never quite tell which one I'm doing in the moment.

You see me clearly and You're still for me. That still gets me.

Help me today to live like You're actually in charge — not in a passive way, but in the way that frees me to show up fully without needing to control what I can't. Help me be good to my husband, present for my daughter when she calls, honest at work, and easy to be around in general.

And when I close the news tab feeling like the world is a lot — remind me of this verse. Remind me that You've got the gavel, and You know exactly what You're doing.

I'm glad it's You.

Amen.


🛍️ Shop my specially designed gifts for any celebration in my Etsy shop

👉 Become a Content Partner

Explore all my personally crafted digital files on Creative Fabrica, or Download from.

#dailyprayer #christiancreative #introvertlife #faithandlife #thoughtfulliving #emptynester #workinglife #quietwork #midlifevoice #artinsciencedesigns #slowcontent

Comments