What's For Dinner: Roasted Chickpeas

What's For Dinner: Roasted Chickpeas

A simple, delicious dinner
August days always feel a little slow, don't they? The sun seems to hang in the sky longer, and there’s a quiet hum in the air, a sort of gentle pause before the busy season of autumn begins. I find myself wanting meals that reflect this pace – something easy, comforting, and not too demanding. My kitchen often feels like a sanctuary, a place where I can make something good without a lot of fuss. Lately, that "something good" has often been roasted chickpeas. It wasn't always this way. For a long time, I thought chickpeas were just for hummus, which is lovely, but I prefer my kitchen adventures to be as low-key as possible when I’m tired. Then, one evening, I was looking at a can in the pantry, feeling a bit uninspired, and I just thought, "Why not?" Sometimes the best meals come from that kind of quiet curiosity. I've learned that making something truly satisfying doesn't require a complicated recipe or exotic ingredients. It's often the simplest things, prepared with a bit of care, that bring the most contentment. Like the way a quiet moment of prayer can settle my heart more than grand gestures. There’s a quiet grace in simplicity, I think. And these chickpeas, in their humble way, remind me of that. They're crunchy, flavorful, and they make a pretty good stand-in for chips when I’m curled up with a book, or a perfect simple side to whatever else I manage to pull together. Here's how I usually make them.

Ingredients

  • One 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and thoroughly dried
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground is nice)
  • Optional: 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or garlic powder, if I'm feeling fancy

Instructions

  1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
  2. Spread the thoroughly dried chickpeas in a single layer on a baking sheet. This drying step is important for getting them crispy, I've noticed.
  3. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any optional spices. Toss them gently with your hands or a spatula until they're evenly coated.
  4. Roast for 20-30 minutes, giving the pan a shake halfway through. I usually look for them to be slightly golden brown and nicely crunchy. Keep an eye on them, as oven temperatures can vary.
  5. Let them cool for a few minutes on the pan. They'll get even crunchier as they cool.
  6. Serve warm as a snack, a side dish, or sprinkled over a simple green salad.
It's a meal that feels like a little blessing, easy on the mind and kind to the schedule. As August slowly turns towards September, I find myself clinging to these moments of simple goodness. There's a peace in knowing that even on days when the world feels loud, a warm, crunchy snack can be a small, quiet comfort. In these lingering summer days, what little things are bringing a sense of calm and contentment into your everyday?
Etsy product from ArtInScienceDesigns
Photo by Jake Nackos (@jakenackos)

Looking for the perfect gift (or a treat for yourself)?

Check out our unique table runners, oven mitts, and other home decor in the ArtInScienceDesigns Etsy shop. Perfect for holiday gatherings or cozy nights in!

AND... Follow Me on CF

#recipes #fordinner #simple #lifestyle #etsy #7propertiesga #artinsciencedesigns #homedecor #kitchendecor #thanksgiving

Comments