What's For Dinner: Chickpeas and Roasted Vegetables
What's For Dinner: Chickpeas and Roasted Vegetables
August always feels like a bit of a subtle sigh, doesn't it? The long, bright days are still here, but there's a whisper of autumn in the evenings. It’s a time I find myself slowing down just a little, trying to soak up the last bits of summer's easy pace before the rush of fall begins. My garden, what's left of it, is putting on its last show, and I'm reminded, as I often am, that every season has its purpose, its own kind of beauty. It’s a bit like our lives, I suppose, with different seasons bringing different fruits and lessons.
In this slowing-down season, my desire for elaborate meals tends to wane. I crave something comforting, nourishing, and most importantly, something that doesn't ask too much of me after a day of contemplating the changing light. That’s where roasted vegetables and chickpeas come in. It’s one of those meals that feels like a warm hug, simple to put together, and wonderfully forgiving. It’s become a bit of a staple around here, especially when I just need a moment of peace and a good, honest meal.
I find a deep satisfaction in watching humble vegetables soften and sweeten in the oven. There’s something almost meditative about it. And chickpeas? They’re just reliable, aren’t they? A good friend in the pantry. This isn't groundbreaking cooking, but it is real cooking for real life. For days when you want something good for your body and soothing for your soul without a fuss.
Ingredients
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3-4 cups mixed vegetables, chopped into bite-sized pieces (I often use bell peppers, zucchini, red onion, broccoli florets, or sweet potato)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or your favorite herbs like thyme or rosemary)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: a squeeze of lemon juice or a sprinkle of fresh parsley for serving
Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a large baking sheet, combine the chopped vegetables and drained chickpeas.
- Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss everything together right on the pan until the vegetables and chickpeas are evenly coated. I usually use my hands for this, it just feels right.
- Spread the mixture out into a single layer. Don't overcrowd the pan, or the vegetables will steam instead of roast. If necessary, use two baking sheets.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized, and the chickpeas are a little crispy. I like to stir them once halfway through.
- Once out of the oven, I sometimes add a little squeeze of lemon over the top, or a few fresh herbs if I have them. Serve warm. It’s lovely on its own or alongside a simple grain like quinoa or rice.
There's a simple joy in making something so straightforward and having it turn out so perfectly satisfying. It’s a good reminder that often, the best things in life are the simplest. Just like the way God provides for us in the everyday, in the changing seasons, and in the still moments when we least expect it. It's not always grand gestures; sometimes it's just a warm meal and a moment of gratitude.
I've noticed that when I focus on these kinds of simple acts, my day feels a little more grounded, a little more peaceful. It makes me think about what truly nourishes us, beyond just food. What simple things are bringing you comfort and peace as summer begins to wind down?
Looking for the perfect gift (or a treat for yourself)?
Check out our unique table runners, oven mitts, and other home decor in the ArtInScienceDesigns Etsy shop. Perfect for holiday gatherings or cozy nights in!
AND... Follow Me on CF
#recipes #fordinner #simple #lifestyle #etsy #7propertiesga #artinsciencedesigns #homedecor #kitchendecor #thanksgiving
Comments
Post a Comment