What's For Dinner: Chicken Tortilla Soup

What's For Dinner: Chicken Tortilla Soup

A simple, delicious dinner
August always feels a bit like a Sunday afternoon, doesn't it? That lingering warmth, but with a whisper of something new just around the corner, a gentle tug towards autumn. It’s a time when I start thinking about meals that offer comfort without being overly heavy, something that feels like a quiet promise of coziness to come. And lately, my mind keeps coming back to chicken tortilla soup. I've always had a soft spot for soup. I think it’s one of those meals that manages to be both humble and deeply satisfying. This particular one, I find, strikes such a lovely balance. It’s warm and hearty, but the fresh toppings keep it lively and bright. There's something comforting in its simplicity, a harmony of flavors that just feels right, especially as the days ever-so-slightly shorten and the evenings hint at a cooler breeze. It’s the kind of meal that, for me, doesn't demand too much of my attention, allowing for a quiet evening and a moment to just be. I've noticed it's perfect for those nights when you want something nourishing that feels like a warm embrace.

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (a rotisserie chicken works wonderfully here!)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (I think this adds a nice touch)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • **For serving:** tortilla chips or strips, avocado slices, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream or Greek yogurt

Instructions

  1. I usually start by heating the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. When it’s shimmering, I add the chopped onion and let it cook until it softens, which usually takes about 5-7 minutes.
  2. Then, I stir in the minced garlic and let it cook for another minute until it smells fragrant – try not to let it brown too much.
  3. Next, I pour in the diced tomatoes (juice and all), the rinsed black beans, the corn, and the chicken broth. I also add the chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. I give it all a good stir.
  4. I bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes. This allows all the flavors to get to know each other.
  5. While the soup is simmering, I often take this time to shred the cooked chicken.
  6. After the simmering time, I stir in the shredded chicken. I make sure it’s heated through, which usually only takes a few more minutes.
  7. Finally, I taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. I always think a little taste test is important to get it just right.
  8. To serve, I ladle the warm soup into bowls and let everyone add their favorite toppings. I particularly like a generous sprinkling of crushed tortilla chips, some creamy avocado, and a squeeze of fresh lime.
I think it's a good reminder that even as seasons shift and life keeps moving, there are constants we can lean on – like a good, comforting meal shared with those we care about, or even just enjoyed in a moment of quiet reflection. It’s a small kindness we can offer ourselves, a little bit of goodness in a bowl. And I always notice how these simple things can actually carry quite a bit of peace, a quiet sort of grace that grounds us. I'm always curious to hear what simple things bring comfort to others. What little bit of everyday grace are you leaning into as we ease out of August?
Etsy product from ArtInScienceDesigns
Photo by Maggi Paraguay on Unsplash

Looking for the perfect gift (or a treat for yourself)?

Check out our unique table runners, oven mitts, and other home decor in the ArtInScienceDesigns Etsy shop. Perfect for holiday gatherings or cozy nights in!

AND... Follow Me on CF

#recipes #fordinner #simple #lifestyle #etsy #7propertiesga #artinsciencedesigns #homedecor #kitchendecor #thanksgiving

Comments