Feeling burned out by work you’re technically good at

Feeling burned out by work you’re technically good at

A quiet moment of reflection
Photo by yamasa-n on Unsplash

It’s one of those feelings that settles in slowly, almost imperceptibly, like dust on a seldom-used shelf. You don’t notice it accumulating until one day, the whole surface feels dull and heavy. For me, it’s this strange paradox: feeling utterly spent by work I'm, by all accounts, perfectly competent at.

It feels a bit like a secret, doesn't it? The kind of thing you don't really know how to articulate without sounding ungrateful or confused. Because the logic just doesn't quite add up. If you're skilled, if you meet deadlines, if you generally do a good job, why then does it feel like a constant siphoning of your very energy?

The Slow Drain

I’ve been noticing it more keenly lately, especially as the days shorten and the chill of November sets in. There’s a particular kind of exhaustion that isn't about physical exertion, but a deep, spiritual weariness. I come home, and my wonderful husband asks about my day, and my adult child calls with updates, and I want to be present, truly present, but sometimes it feels like I’m operating on fumes.

It’s not stress in the frantic, overloaded sense. It’s more like a subtle, persistent hum of depletion. People often say, "But you're so good at that!" or "You make it look so easy!" And I smile, I nod, because in many ways, they're right. The tasks themselves aren’t a struggle; the execution comes naturally. But the doing of it, day in and day out, somehow takes more than it gives back.

When Competence Becomes a Burden

I think part of the challenge lies in that very competence. When you’re good at something, the requests keep coming. You become the go-to person. You understand the nuances, you anticipate the problems, you often fix things before they even break. And while there’s a subtle satisfaction in that, it also means your brain is always on, always anticipating, always solving.

There's a subtle pressure, too, to maintain that level of excellence. Not from external demands necessarily, but from within. A sense that if I can do it well, I should always do it well. And somewhere in that exchange, the joy that might have once been there gets subtly overshadowed by obligation.

Sometimes, late in the evening when the house is still, I find myself just sitting with this feeling. I pray, not for answers to fix it all, but for understanding. "Lord," I'll murmur, "help me see what it is You want me to learn in this space of feeling capable but weary. Help me know how to steward my energy and my gifts, not just for others, but for the life You've given me to live." It’s a still moment, just me and my thoughts, and a gentle reaching out.

Navigating the Unseen Pressure

It’s not about wanting to quit, or even about disliking the work itself. It’s more about the underlying current that makes the work feel heavier than it logically should. It’s recognizing that even when you’re sailing smoothly, the constant effort of steering and trimming the sails can take its toll.

The shorter days of November, with their crisp air and muted light, invite a natural slowing down. It feels fitting to acknowledge this internal landscape during a season when much of the natural world is retreating. Perhaps it’s a gentle reminder that even capabilities need seasons of rest and careful tending.

I’m learning that naming this feeling, this subtle burn of being good at something that drains you, is a good first step. It’s not a complaint, but an observation. A subtle recognition of a truth that many of us probably carry, but rarely voice.

It’s a different kind of exhaustion than overt stress. It's the kind that makes you wonder, "Is this just how it is now?" And the silence that follows that question can feel pretty isolating.

So, I wonder, have you ever found yourself in this still, somewhat confusing space? The one where competence meets weariness, and you're left just sitting with the paradox?


🛍️ Shop my specially designed gifts for any celebration in my Etsy shop

👉 Become a Content Partner

Explore all my personally crafted digital files on Creative Fabrica, or Download from.

#uncommondilemmas #quietwork #workinglife #introvertlife #faithandlife #thoughtfulliving #humanstories #unseenwork #realworklife #christiancreative #midlifevoice #slowcontent #reflectiveliving #artinsciencedesigns

Comments