Being labeled reliable and getting more work instead of more pay
Being labeled reliable and getting more work instead of more pay
There's a specific kind of compliment that, after a while, starts to feel like a coat that’s a little too heavy for the weather. It sounds nice, truly. “You’re so reliable.” “We can always count on you.” For years, I’ve heard it, and for years, I’ve worn it like a badge of honor.
But lately, especially as the summer days stretch long and my garden calls, I’ve noticed a pattern. Being reliable often means being handed more. More projects, more responsibilities, more of the tasks that others might drop or defer. It’s not necessarily about being asked to do something new; it’s more about the existing workload just… expanding. Yet, the pay stub seems to hold steady, a consistent anchor in a sea of rising expectations.
The Unspoken Cost of Trust
I’ve been working for a good chunk of my life now, through different seasons as a young professional, then a new mom, and now with an adult child finding their own way. And this pattern, it’s a constant. It’s a tension I suspect many of us experience but rarely put into words. We’re good at what we do. We care. We show up. And because of that, we become the go-to person.
It’s not a complaint about the work itself, not really. I take pride in doing a good job. But there’s a subtle sting when that trusted capacity isn't met with an equivalent increase in recognition, especially monetary recognition. It feels like being valued for what you deliver, but perhaps less for the unique effort and mental bandwidth it takes to constantly deliver.
I find myself thinking about it sometimes when I'm stirring dinner or folding laundry. Another email just came in, another request that feels like it perfectly fits my "reliable" label. My husband sees it too, the way my evenings sometimes get swallowed by a last-minute email or a review that just can't wait. And our adult child, well, they're learning their own lessons about the working world, and I wonder what they see in my example.
Finding Grounding in the Middle of It All
In moments when the weight feels a little heavy, I really do try to lean into my faith. It’s not about finding a magic solution or suddenly securing a raise. It's more about grounding my spirit. I might step away for a minute, make myself a cup of tea, and just say a little prayer. "Lord, help me navigate this with wisdom. Help me do what's right, and trust You with the rest."
Sometimes a verse comes to mind, like Paul in 2 Corinthians talking about God’s grace being sufficient. It helps me remember that my worth isn’t tied solely to my productivity or even my pay slip. It’s a deeper thing, woven into who I am, a daughter of God. That doesn’t make the practical dilemma disappear, but it does shift my perspective, if only for a few moments.
It’s a peculiar space to occupy – being appreciated for your work ethic, yet feeling the imbalance of that appreciation. There's a subtle push and pull, a dance between wanting to be a good steward of your talents and also wanting to be fairly compensated for them. Especially in these long summer days, when the urge to slow down and enjoy the sunshine is strong, the constant hum of work can feel particularly insistent.
I don't have an answer for it. No grand strategy or definitive pronouncement. Just this observation, this experience that keeps repeating itself. The sun is setting earlier now, the light a little softer. Things keep moving, don't they?
Does this experience feel familiar to you? How do you carry the label of "reliable" when it brings more to your plate, but not necessarily more to your pocket?
🛍️ Shop my specially designed gifts for any celebration in my Etsy shop
Explore all my personally crafted digital files on Creative Fabrica, or Download from.
#uncommondilemmas #quietwork #workinglife #introvertlife #faithandlife #thoughtfulliving #humanstories #unseenwork #realworklife #christiancreative #midlifevoice #slowcontent #reflectiveliving #artinsciencedesigns
Comments
Post a Comment